IMPORTANT MCQs FOR CURRENT AFFAIRS
- The name of Pakistan’s ambassador to the US is Sherry Rehman
- Pakistan is a non permanent member of UN Security Council
- The US Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan is Marc Grossman
- OIC has been recently renamed as Organisation of Islamic Cooperation. Previously it was Organisation of Islamic Conference.
- The US ambassador to Pakistan is Cameron Munter
- The current Chairman senate is Farooq H. Naek
- Pakistan leased out Shamsi airbase to UAE
- Abbotabad Operation was carried out on May 2 2011
- Abbotabad Commission is headed by Justice Javed Iqbal
- The President enjoys immunity from criminal proceedings Under Article 248 of the Constitution
- Leon Panetta is the US Defence Secretary
- A K Anthony is the current defence Minister of India
- S M Karishna is the minister of external affairs of India
- P Chidambram is the Home affairs Minister of India
- Pranab Mukharjee is the Finance Minister of India
- Hina Rabbani is Minister for foreign affairs
- Abdul Hafeez Sheikh is the Finance Minister of Pakistan
- Khursheed Shah is minister for the religious affairs
- Makhdoom Amin Fahim is the minister for trade
- Maula Bux Chandio is the law Minister
- Hillary Rodham Clinton is the current Secretary of the US
- Joe Biden is the US vice President
- Ekmelu din Ihsanoglu is the Secretary General of OIC
- Reko Diq contains copper and gold and is situated in District Chagai ( Balochistan)
- 2012 Olympics are going to be held in London
- Headquarters of Asian Development are situated (ADB) at Manilla ( Phillipines)
- Headquarters of OIC are situated at Jedda
- Headquarters of SCO are situated at Shanghai
- Headquarters of ECO are situated at Tehran
- The current secretary General of UN is Ban Ki Moon ( South Korea)
- Steve Jobs is the founder of apple I phone
- Pratibha Patil is the President of India
- Yingluck Shinawatra is the Prime Minister of Thailand
- Muhammad Hamid Ansari is the Vice President of India
- Yaseen Anwar is the current Governor of State Bank of Pakistan
- Transparency International is headquartered at Berlin (Germany)
- Lufthansa is the Airline of Germany
- Nabil-el Araby is the current secretary General of the Arab League. ( He is from Egypt)
- National Flower of Pakistan is Jasmine
- National Sport of Pakistan is Hockey.
- Leader of the Opposition in the Senate is Abdul Ghafoor Haideri.
- Markhor is the national animal of Pakistan.
- Arfa Karim, the youngest software engineer, belongs to Pakistan.
- RAW stands for research and analysis wing (intelligence agency of India).
- Mossad is the intelligence agency of Israel.
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the head of state of Liberia. She is one of the three Noble Peace Prize winners for the year 2011.
- Chinese Premier is Wen Jiabao
- Hu Jintao is the President of China
- Abdullah Hussain Haroon is Pakistan’s permanent representative in the UN.
- World Trade Organisation (WTO) came into being in 1995
- David Cameroon is the Prime Minister of UK.
- Angelina Merkel is the German Chancellor.
- Christine Lagarde is the new head of IMF.
- Robert B. Zoellick is the head of World Bank.
- Headquarters of ECO are situated at Tehran.
- RCD was established in 1964.
- Ali Akbar Salehi is the Foreign Minister of Iran.
- Zalmai Rassoul is the foreign minister of Afghanistan.
- Last Presidential elections in Afghanistan were held in 2009.
- After Pashton , Tajik are the second largest ethnic group in Afghanistan. Hazara are the third largest group in Afghanistan.
- Headquarters of South Waziristan are at Wana during summer and Tank during Winter.
- Headquarters of North Waziristan are at Miramshah
- Headquarters of Khyber Agency are at Landi Kotal
- South Waziristan is the largest agency in size in FATA.
- FATA comprises of seven agencies.
- APP is the news agency of Pakistan whereas AP ( Associated Press) is the news agency of the US
- AFP is the news agency of France.
- Interfax is the news agency of Russia. It is the news agency of Ukraine also.
- Reuters is the news agency of UK.
- PTI is the news agency of India.
- Xinhua is the news agency of China
- Yonhap is the news agency of south Korea
- SPA is the news agency of Saudi Arabia.
- MFN stands for most favoured nation.
- SCO was established in 2001.
- G8, association of the richest and most developed countries of the world comprises of US, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Italy, Russia, Japan. It has no formal structure.
- Scandinavian states are Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.
- TAPI stands for Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.
- Bonn Conference was held in November 2011 to discuss post with drawl scenario in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan boycotted Bonn Conference because of NATO attack on Salala check post.
- Next Conference will be held in Chicago in May 2012.
- Mansoor Ijaz is an American national ( not Pakistani) who has ignited memogate controversy.
- Hussain Haqqani, Pakistan’s former ambassador to the US, had to resign as a result of memogate scandal.
- Rao Qamar Suleman is the current Air Chief Marshal of Pakistan
- Asif Sandila is the current Naval Chief of Pakistan
- Chairman NAB is Admiral Fasih Bukhari.
- PNS Mehran was attacked on 22 May 2011.
- South Sudan Became a Nation on July 9, 2011. South Sudan's capital is Juba. Salva Kiir, South Sudan's president, signs the interim Constitution
- Kvitova and Djokovic won Wimbledon Titles in 2011.
- Yoshiko Noda is the Prime Minister of Japan.
- Saudi Arabia has recently granted right to vote to women.
- Palestine became member of UNESCO on 31 October 2011.
- Mario Monti is the Prime minister of Italy. He has replaced Berlusconi.n
- Tahrir square is in Egypt.
- First ever elections were held in Tunis on 24 Oct 2011.
- On Oct 11, 2011, U.S. Attorney general Eric H. Holder announcedm from Washington that the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps paid assassins from a Mexican drug cartel $1.5 million to kill Adel al-Jubeir, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States.
- South Sudan is the 193rd member of the UN.
- George J Mitchell is President Obama’s special envoy to the Middle East.
- The United Nations was established on 24 Oct 1945.
- Official languages of UN are English, Russian, French,Chinese, Arabic,Spanish
- There are currently 193 member states.
- The first meetings of the General Assembly, with 51 nations represented, and the Security Council, took place in Westminster Central Hall in London in January 1946.
- Headquarters of UN are situated at international territory New York
- Headquarters of World Bank and IMF are situated at Washington
- Headquarters of FAO are situated at Rome
- Headquarters of UNESCO are situated at Paris
- Headquarters of UNICEF are situated at New York
- Headquarters of International Court of Justice are situated at The Hague (The Netherlands)
- Security Council consists of 15 members ( Five Permanent and Ten Non Permanent)
- The Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly, after being recommended by the Security Council.
- Veto Power is enjoyed by the Permanent members only
- Headquarters of IAEA are at Vienna
- Headquarters of ILO are at Geneva
- Headquarters of Universal Postal Union are at Bern (Switzerland)
- Headquarters of World Health Organisation are at Geneva
- Headquarters of UNHCR are at Geneva
- Ban Ki Moon is the Secretary General of UN . He is from South Korea.
- International Court of Justice comprises of 15 judges.
- Session of UN is held in September every year
Governor: Latif Khosa
Chief Ministers: Mian Shahbaz Shareef
Governor: Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan
Chief Ministers: Qaim Ali Shah
PA Speaker : Nisar Ahmed Khuhro
Governor: Syed Masood Kausar
Chief Ministers: Ameer Haider Khan Hoti
Governor: Zulfikar Ali Magsi
Chief Ministers: Aslam Raisani
Governor: Pir Karam Ali Shah
Chief Ministers: Syed Mehdi Shah
Governor: Raja Zulqarnain Khan
Chief Ministers: Sardar Attique
President: Zillur Rahman
Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
President: Hamid Karzai
Vice President : Mohammed Fahim and Karim Khalili
President: Dmitry Medvedev
Prime Minister: Vladimir Putin
Leader of Iran: Ali Khamenei
President: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
First Vice President: Mohammad-Reza Rahimi:
President: Jalal Talabani
Prime Minister: Nouri al-Maliki
President : Shimon Peres
Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Monarch: Elizabeth II
President: Nicolas Sarkozy (UMP)
Prime Minister: François Fillon (UMP)
President : Christian Wulff (CDU
Chancellor: Anglina Merkal
Monarch: Elizabeth II
Governor General: David Johnston
Prime Minister: Stephen Harper
• Secretariat: Kathmandu, Nepal
• Official languages: English
• Establishment: December 8, 1985
• SAARC Secretariat was established in Kathmandu on 16 January 1987
• Members: (8) Afghanistan , Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
• Secretariat: Jakarta, Indonesia
• Official languages: English
• Secretary-General: Surin Pitsuwan
• Bangkok Declaration: 8 August 1967
• Charter signed on: 16 December 2008
• Members: (10) Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore , Thailand, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.
• Secretariat: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
• Official languages: Arabic, English, French
• Establishment: September 25, 1969
• Secretary-General : Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu (Turkish)
• Members: 57 member states
• It changed its name from the Organisation of the Islamic Conference on 28 June 2011 and renamed as Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
• Secretariat: Tehran, Iran
• Official languages: English
• Establishment: 1985
• successor organisation of Regional Cooperation for Development (RCD), founded in 1964, which ended activities in 1979.
• Secretary-General: Yahya Maroofi (Afghani)
• Members: 10 member states Iran, Pakistan, Turkey Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
• Secretariat: Beijing, China
• Official languages: Chinese and Russian
• Establishment: 2001
• Secretary-General: Muratbek Sansyzbayevich Imanaliyev
• Members: (6 Members) China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
• successor organization Shanghai Five, founded in 1996; after the inclusion of Uzbekistan in 2001, the members renamed the organisation.
• Observers: (4 )Pakistan, India, Iran and Mongolia
• Dialogue Partner: Belarus, Sri Lanka and Turkey
• Guests: ASEAN, CIS and Turkmenistan
NOBEL PRIZES FOR 2011
Nobel peace prize 2011
Winners are Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Leymah Gbowee of Liberia and Tawakul Karman of Yemen for their non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women’s rights to full participation in peace-building work.
Nobel Literature prize 2011
Tomas Tranströmer for condensed translucent images which give us fresh access to reality.
Nobel Economics prize 2011
Thomas J. Sargent and Christopher A. Sims for their empirical research on cause and effect in the macroeconomy.
Nobel Physiology or Medicine prize 2011
Bruce Beutler, Jules A. Hoffmann and Ralph M. Steinman for their discoveries concerning the activation of innate immunity.
Nobel Chemistry prize 2011
Dan Shechtman for the discovery of quasicrystals.
Nobel Physics prize 2011
Saul Perlmutter, Adam G. Riess & Brian P. Schmidt for his contributions to the discovery of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.